Top tips for the uncomfortable networker!
It is said that over 70% of jobs and business comes from networking. These great top tips to unleash the uncomfortable networker come from an excellent Coaching Academy CPD Event yesterday with Rasheed Ogunlaru.
I consider myself outgoing. Even so, the thought of working a room of strangers authentically and effectively is uncomfortable. It’s funny how alternative ways to spend the time present themselves. So here are some top tips for the uncomfortable networker!
- Arrive early. Counter intuitive right? But this way you are in the position of greeting and not breaking into groups already formed
- Have something to say – in fewer than 10 words who you are and what you do, thats interesting. Write it down before you go and say it to your trusting mirror or even a friend
- Make eye contact – some-people dont want to be tapped on the back!
- Get the greeting right. The handshake if you use it should be firm but not bone crunching. If its a multi-cultural group handshaking might not be the thing.
- Sm-eyes (pronounced schmize)! Deliver your greeting with a smile that reaches your eyes and isn’t looking over the shoulder to the next best person
- Numbers. Set yourself a target of people
- Move on graciously – if you’re getting stuck with someone telling you about model trains or the inclement weather (no offence to afionados of either discipline) say thanks and move on!
- Celebrate. A successful networking event is part of your work and needs celebrating with new contacts and recognising new opportunities
Have fun and please share how you get on! Of course, Get in touch to discuss your coaching needs