How do I know if coaching is right for me?
Many new and potential clients are confused about what coaching entails and whether it’s right for them. If the answer is yes to any of these question, then coaching is right for you and can most definitely support you.
- Do you feel that you aren’t reaching your potential and feeling fulfilled?
- Is there a gap of where you are now to where you want to be?
- Do you sometimes feel you don’t have the skills, resources or confidence to do what you want?
- Do you sometimes feel stuck and put off making decisions or fail to stick to those resolutions you have made?
- Are you ready to entertain new and fresh ideas?
- Are you willing to be accountable for what you want?
So what is Coaching?
Put simply, coaching is a tool that is used to empower or enable individuals as they reach their goals. It is a structured conversation that takes place in a professional environment between the coach – me- and you the client.
What coaching is not
Coaching is not about your coach giving you suggestions or advice. I am not mentoring or counselling you.
How does coaching work?
Different coaches use different models to structure their sessions. The models all have the same intention: to provide a structure for a conversation that will reveal your aspirations, the reasons or values that underpin them and pathways to realise them.
Coaching keeps you moving forward towards your intentions while learning and becoming aware of yourself through the experience.
During coaching sessions you create action plans. I will listen to you without judgement while asking questions and finding out what challenges you. I will not offer advice. You will be encouraged to make decisions and take responsibility for these decisions.
Typically the format of a session is something like this:
- You review progress since the previous session
- Establish the intention for this session putting the desired change into a measurable format
- Consider where you are at the present moment in relation to the change
- Consider your options in making the change happen
- Agree on some actions
- Summarise the session before completing.
A session usually last between 45mins and 1 hour.
Special sessions may give you an opportunity to explore in more depth what motivates you, what personal preferences and values you live by.
Who else will know what has been said?
A coaching session is completely confidential. I comply to the Coaching Code of Conduct which you can find here
What does the coach need from me during a session?
Not surprisingly, clients who get the greatest benefit from the investment they make for coaching are those who come to the session prepared. They have reflected and come with an idea for a change they want to make or work towards.
Collecting your thoughts and ensuring that you are relaxed and ready makes a difference. You may also need a pen and paper to hand and any other items that you may think will be useful such as a diary and other ways of recording your plans and commitments.
I think I want to start coaching now. What do I do?
Your first step is to CONTACT ME!
We will talk over your understanding of this service and what you are hoping to get out of it. We will look at a package to fit your needs. Our first session will look in greater depth a what coaching can do for you. If you decide it is not for you, you will not be charged for this. Nothing ventured etc etc
Make a resolution to stick to!